ORM stands for Online Reputation Management. It refers to the practice of monitoring and influencing how a person or a brand is perceived online. ORM involves a variety of tactics and strategies to ensure that a brand’s online presence is positive and reflects the values and objectives of the brand.
How does ORM work?
ORM (Online Reputation Management) works by monitoring and influencing how a person or a brand is perceived online. Here are some of the key steps involved in ORM:
- Monitor online presence: ORM begins with monitoring the brand’s online presence. This includes tracking brand mentions, social media conversations, and reviews on various platforms.
- Analyze data: After monitoring the brand’s online presence, ORM professionals analyze the data to identify areas where the brand’s reputation may be at risk. They look for trends in negative feedback and determine what is driving the conversation.
- Develop strategies: Based on the data analysis, ORM professionals develop strategies to address any negative feedback or issues that may be impacting the brand’s reputation. This may involve responding to negative reviews, addressing customer complaints, or creating positive content to counteract negative sentiment.
- Execute strategies: ORM strategies are executed by implementing tactics such as responding to reviews, creating positive content, and building relationships with influencers. The goal is to promote a positive online presence for the brand and mitigate any negative feedback.
- Monitor progress: ORM is an ongoing process, and it’s important to monitor progress regularly to ensure that the strategies and tactics being used are effective. This involves tracking online conversations, analyzing data, and making adjustments to the ORM strategy as needed.
Overall, ORM is a comprehensive approach to managing a brand’s online reputation. By monitoring and influencing how a brand is perceived online, companies can improve their online reputation, increase brand awareness, and ultimately drive business success.
Why do you need ORM?
ORM (Online Reputation Management) is important for several reasons:
- Manage reputation: ORM helps businesses and individuals manage their online reputation by monitoring and responding to feedback from customers, clients, and stakeholders. It helps to ensure that negative comments or reviews do not damage their reputation.
- Increase trust and credibility: A positive online reputation can increase trust and credibility among potential customers, clients, or investors. A strong online reputation can lead to increased sales, higher revenue, and greater brand loyalty.
- Stay ahead of the competition: In today’s digital age, online reputation can be a key differentiator in a crowded marketplace. By investing in ORM, businesses and individuals can stay ahead of their competitors by presenting a positive image online.
- Influence public opinion: ORM allows businesses and individuals to shape public opinion about their brand or reputation. By monitoring and responding to feedback, they can influence the way their brand is perceived by customers, clients, and stakeholders.
- Protect against negative PR: ORM can help protect against negative PR or reputation damage caused by a crisis or unforeseen event. By having an established ORM strategy in place, businesses and individuals can quickly respond to negative feedback and mitigate potential reputation damage.
Getting started with ORM
If you’re looking to get started with ORM (Online Reputation Management), here are some key steps to consider:
- Identify your goals: The first step in ORM is to identify your goals. What do you want to achieve with your online reputation? Are you looking to increase brand awareness, improve customer satisfaction, or mitigate negative feedback? By identifying your goals, you can develop a strategy that is tailored to your specific needs.
- Monitor your online presence: To manage your online reputation, you need to monitor your online presence regularly. This includes tracking brand mentions, social media conversations, and reviews on various platforms. There are several tools and platforms available that can help you monitor your online presence, including Google Alerts, Hootsuite, and Social Mention.
- Respond to feedback: Responding to feedback is a critical part of ORM. Whether it’s positive or negative, it’s important to respond promptly and professionally to feedback from customers, clients, and stakeholders. This helps to build trust and credibility and shows that you are committed to providing excellent customer service.
- Create positive content: Creating positive content is another important part of ORM. By creating positive content such as blog posts, social media updates, and press releases, you can promote a positive image of your brand and mitigate any negative feedback.
- Build relationships with influencers: Influencers can have a significant impact on your brand’s reputation and visibility online. By building relationships with influencers in your industry, you can increase your reach and credibility. This can help to increase brand awareness and improve your online reputation.
- Monitor progress: ORM is an ongoing process, and it’s important to monitor progress regularly to ensure that your strategies and tactics are effective. This involves tracking online conversations, analyzing data, and making adjustments to your ORM strategy as needed.
The three latest techniques used in ORM
Here are three of the latest techniques used in ORM (Online Reputation Management):
- Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning (ML) techniques: With the explosion of social media platforms, ORM has become a complex task that requires real-time monitoring and analysis of vast amounts of data. AI and ML techniques are increasingly being used in ORM to automate and speed up the process of monitoring online mentions of a brand, product, or service. These techniques help identify trends, sentiment, and other factors that can impact a company’s reputation.
- Social Listening: Social Listening is a technique used to monitor social media platforms, forums, and other online communities to track mentions of a brand, product, or service. Social Listening involves using specialized tools that can scan millions of online conversations to identify and track mentions of a brand. This technique helps companies quickly identify issues and respond to negative comments before they go viral.
- Influencer Marketing: Influencer Marketing is a technique used to leverage the power of social media influencers to build brand reputation. ORM professionals identify influencers who have a significant following and a positive reputation and then work with them to promote the brand, product, or service. This technique can be highly effective in building a positive brand reputation and engaging with target audiences.